Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Travel Workout - Chest

Being physically fit is very important to me. Working full time now, I strongly believe that being physically fit and mentally fit are highly correlated. Growing up and playing sports though high school, the stubbornness in me neglected lifting weights for the sheer fact that I was able to rely on natural talent and felt as if I didn't need to do anything more because I still achieved All-League and All-State honors in my respective sports.

Man, how far I have come from my 16 year old self...

Currently I'm in Missoula, MT helping out the Montana office because they are a little short on staff this time of year. I was able to fly down to Denver for the weekend and experience my first two Crossfit workouts at Crossfit LoDo in Denver, CO. I will give you my overall impression on Crossfit later but here is a chest workout I did this morning in the hotel fitness room:

4 Rounds as fast as you can of:
  • 10 Dumbbell Bench presses (I used 50 lb DB's as that's as high as they go)
  • 25 push ups 
  • 20 Sky's (Jumping high as you can off  2 feet and exploding back up as soon as your feet hit the ground)
  • 10 Standing Cable flys (25 lbs each side)
  • 10 Burpees 
  • 1/4 Mile on the treadmill on highest speed 
Overall it was a great workout and worked up a solid sweat to get me feeling right to start the day. Personally, there is nothing better than working up a sweat before most people get out of bed.

The key to workouts like these, using more body weight than free weights is to keep the tempo and intensity high. I don't think I fully caught my breath until I was back in my room getting ready for the day ahead. Its hard to do because you have to push yourself when nobody else is watching, but once you do it a few times and see that you do in fact survive and begin to see results it can become very addicting.

" Ain't nothing to it, but to do it"
                       
-Colin





No comments:

Post a Comment